Want to indulge in some chocolate treats? Try these easy, healthier recipes from our VavistaWellness dietitians for a chocolatey hit without the sugar overload.
Healthier Chocolate Brownies
Recipe provided by nutrition expert, dietitian Tess Mewton
“These are sweet, moist brownies that are egg-free. They only have natural sugars from the fruit. They are also a source of fibre and taste delicious!”
Preparation time 35 mins
Cooking time 25 mins
- 225g dates
- 60g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp good quality cocoa powder, sieved
- 100g butter (can be substituted with vegan margarine if needed)
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 75g pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the dates in a medium saucepan with just enough water to cover them. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Once the dates have cooked, drain off the hot water, and allow to cool.
- Purée the dates. (A hand blender works well for puréeing).
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder, then set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a fork or electric mixer, cream together the dates and the butter until light and fluffy.
- Stir the sifted flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the date and butter mixture.
- Add the banana, nuts (optional) and vanilla essence.
- Lightly oil a baking dish, then evenly spread the mixture into it, smoothing the top with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the brownies start to come away from the sides of the dish.
- Allow to cool in the pan, cut and serve.
Berry & Chocolate Mousse pots
Recipe provided by nutrition expert, dietitian Sophie Claessens
- 175g 70% dark chocolate
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 350g berries
- Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over gently simmering water. Once melted, allow to cool for 10-15mins and then mix in the yoghurt.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the sugar until stiff again.
- Add a spoonful of the beaten egg whites into the melted chocolate mixture to loosen. Then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Place berries into 4 short glasses or ramekins, then divide the mousse on top. Chill in the fridge until set.