- 450g (1lb) aubergines
- 2 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Chilli Garlic Sauce
- 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Chiu Chow Chilli Oil
- 1½ tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, roasted and ground
- 2 tsp salt
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) vegetarian stock or water
- 2 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp spring onions, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp green spring onion tops, chopped
- Trim and cut the aubergines into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes. Sprinkle the cubes with salt and leave them in a sieve to drain for 20 minutes. Then rinse them under cold running water and pat them dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat a wok or large frying-pan over high heat until it is hot. Add the oil, and when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic, ginger and spring onions and stir-fry them for 30 seconds, then add the aubergines and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Turn the heat down and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes until the aubergine is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return the heat to high and continue to stir until the liquid has been reduced and has thickened slightly. Turn the mixture onto a serving dish and garnish with the chopped spring onions tops.