- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 150ml/5fl oz hot vegetable stock (made with 1 stock cube)
- 2 x 400g/14oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g/14oz cans black beans or red kidney beans (or a mixture), rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander and cinnamon and cook for a further minute.
- Transfer to the slow cooker. Stir in the stock, tomatoes, drained beans, tomatoes and dried oregano. Stir well then cover with the lid and cook on low for 8–10 hours, or until the sauce is thick and the spices have mellowed. Serve hot.